How to change your name?

A few tips to keep in mind.

When you change your name, you are informing every organisation that has your details that you now wish to be called by another name.  For them to do this they will need to see your Official Marriage Certificate issued from the Births, Deaths and Marriages NSW (or the State you were married in ) as proof that you are permited to use a different name. The lovely commemorative Marriage Certificate given to you by your Marriage Celebrant during the Ceremony is not sufficient evidence for organisations.

Remember, you don't need to change your name on documents.  Some people keep their birth surname and use their spouse's surname in social circles.

Either or both of you can change your names. There are several options avaliable.

Step 1: Apply for a Official Certificate of Marriage issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages. The quickest way is ask your Marriage Celebrant or go to BDM here.

Step 2:  Take this Official Document to any organisations that have your name. A good place to start is for your Passport and Driver's License.

Step 3: Changing your name on your Driver's License. You will need to notify Transport NSW within 14 days by visiting a Service NSW centre in person. Make sure you take with you other proof of identity. Take with you your

  • Registered Official Certificate of Marriage
  • another form of identification such as your Driver's License.

Step 4. Change your Passport. You may not have any travel plans, however having an valid Passport is very handy.  You will need to complete a Passport Renewal Application Form from the Post Office. This is avaliable online here. Submit this at your local Post Office. You will need to show them your:

  • Registered Official Certificate of Marriage
  • Current Passport

Tip: buy your honeymoon tickets in your birth name! You can still travel on a valid passport in your previous name.

Step 5. Now that you have your BDM Issued Official Marriage Certificate you can change you name with:

  • Australian electoral Commission
  • Australian Business Register if a director of a company
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Insurance
  • Home phone account
  • Council rates
  • Centrelink
  • Banks
  • Internet accounts
  • Real Esatte Agency
  • Superannuation
  • Your employer
  • Children's school
  • Ulilities
  • Online facebook, ebay, LinkedIn
  • Business card

Step 6. Celebrate by making a dinner reservation in your new name.